A Brief History of Good Shepherd Episcopal School
The Church of the Good Shepherd was established in downtown Punta Gorda in 1896, bringing the Episcopal Church to the Charlotte County area for the first time. A preschool was added in 1963, and young children have been cared for ever since. The church has moved once, from its original location to the present site at the intersection of West Henry Street and Shreve Street. Planning began in the late 1990’s for a new school. In 2000, Good Shepherd Day School was founded on the present campus. The school originally had a kindergarten, adding a grade level each year. Classes were held in prefabricated buildings and spaces in the church and preschool buildings for the first several years. The current school building, Ventura Hall, on the Shreve Street side of the property, was completed and occupied in 2007. The building is home not only to the school but also to the prekindergarten classes from the preschool. In 2016, the present name, Good Shepherd Episcopal School, was adopted, along with the motto: education in mind, body, and spirit in the heart of Punta Gorda.